Remember that a candle is an open flame and it can easily ignite any combustible nearby. While candles provide a warm glow, they are not to be taken for granted. Follow these safety tips while using candles in the home:
- Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Keep candles away from items that can catch fire (e.g. clothing, books, paper, curtains, Christmas trees, flammable decorations).
- Do not use candle holders in windows, where blinds and curtains can close over them.
- Place candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface and do not use the candles in places where they could be knocked over by children or pets.
- Keep candles and all open flames away from flammable liquids.
- Avoid candles with combustible items embedded in them.
- Develop and practice a fire escape plan with the whole family. Plan two exit routes for each room, and practice your escape plan at night to mimic the most difficult fire situation you might encounter. Never re-enter a burning home. Be sure that someone is responsible for waking young children and escorting them to safety.
Candles & Children
- Keep candles up high out of reach of children.
- Never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle. A child should not sleep in a room with a lit candle.
- Don’t allow children or teens to have candles in their bedrooms.
- Store candles, matches and lighters up high and out children’s sight and reach, preferably in a locked cabinet.
During power outages
- Try to avoid carrying a lit candle. Don’t use a lit candle when searching for items in a confined space.
- Never use a candle for a light when checking pilot lights or fuelling equipment such as a kerosene heater or lantern. The flame may ignite the fumes.